Thursday, November 15, 2007

Think on This

Philippine Special Action Force Commandos (SAF)
Trained in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali


It is the soldier, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier
who salutes the flag,
who serves under the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

4 comments:

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Al Fatihah for all the Pendekar and Sri Kandi who gave their blood, tears and sweat to make Malaysia a land of freedom.

To all Malaysians, a reminder. A little freedom is better than none. Cherish it and remember those who made it possible.

guro jeff davidson said...

A/A Brother Nadzrin,

I don't know if I agree about "a little freedom" being better than none. Anyway, getting it is one thing - maintaining it is something else altogether.

BTW, my head seems to be firmly attached to my shoulders! I'll talk to you this week.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Nadzrin,

I feel as tho I know you already. I thought Silat Kuntau Tekpi was your art for a while because Guro Jeff starts every class with "Nadzrin says..."

By the way, we love to play pulut, pulut, pulut.

RM

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam hormat Ka Jeff,

Being free in reality means a choice. You choose to be free of one but a slave to another. Thus, to be truly free, you have to be enslaved.

Rather than be a slave of a master who is my equal, I would rather be a slave to a superior.

Every time you bear the 9 witnesses, you are trying to free yourself from everything that has tried to enslave you and willingly be enslaved by your Master, is it not?

In this way, even being slightly enslaved is better than being free. Thus, my previous statement that a little freedom is better than none.

Let's strive to become slaves.

(Brother RM, Silat Kuntau Tekpi does not belong to me, but I practise it as well as I can. And yes, the pulut is my fault. Sorry 'bout that).

Salam persilatan,